8a Feb 25

Updated
7:30 A.M. Thursday February 25, 2010

Check out some of the photos from Tuesday in the Storm Photos link on the side panel →

Forecast for: Friday February 26, 2010

A Two Hour Delay
No School
An Early Dismissal

45%
possible
40%
possible
0%
none

…for the Kingston City School District. Kingston, NY, USA. 12401. School Closings within 50 miles

Update 8:20am
At 8:20am the rain has changed over to snow in the Kingston area, with a dusting on the ground. Snow will continue through 11am with accumulations of up to one inch of wet snow possible during that time. A change over back to rain should occour around noon. Higher elevations out towards Woodstock will see higher amounts.

*
Unchanged 7:00am update
Temperatures never mannaged to get below freezing in Kingston last night, so as a result at 7am we are still seeing a steady rain that began around 3am. I imagine that areas out towards Woodstock may have picked up a bit of snow, as they have been doubling Kingston's totals all week, however, this has yet to be confirmed.


The district is currently under a Winter Weather Advisory, which is in effect until 7am Friday. In the Kingston area, we will likely pick up over half an inch of rain before colder air filters in tonight. Heavier precipitation will move into the area around 8am. A change over to snow and sleet looks to occour by 9pm or 10pm. We may see 1-3 inches of snow before the steadier precipitation begins to taper off around 7am Friday.1-2 additional inches are possible Friday afternoon. Low's in most of the district Thursday night are only supposed to bottom out around 33, so there is a realistic chance that we may never actually turn back over to snow. The highest amounts will occour over the higer terrain of the district

We will see a chance for mainly light snow showers with little accumulations from Friday night, through Saturday, and into Sunday. Looking into next week, the first half of the week is looking relatively dry with no major systems effecting the region until at least Wednesday night.

*

Should the forcast for Thursday night into Friday actually materialize, with 2-4 inches accumulating by Friday morning, I would be inclined to favor yet another cancellation. However, after last night's no-show-snow and a forecasted low of only around 33 or 32, I am increasingly suspect of anything more than an inch accumulating, especially within the city.

This being said I will lean towards a two hour delay for Friday, mainly because of the Winter Weather Advisory, which is in effect until 7am. Should the forecast actually pull through with at least 1 to 2 inches on the gound by 6 or 7 AM, then at that time a cancellation would become more likely.

*

Today's cancellation marks the 6th "snow day" of the season for Kingston. Kingston's planned snow days have been all used up. Any additional snow days will be taken from the week long spring break, beginning with March 29th.

With three snow days, this is the longest stretch of snow days in at least half a decade, according to my records. Kingstonsnows records go back to the 2004-2005 winter season.

I will update tonight between 9pm and 10pm when the rain is forecast to be turning over to snow.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License